We are a Southern Baptist church that has a wonderful past, a great present, and a glorious future.
The Fork Shoals Baptist Church was organized between the years 1777-1780, located in the area where Greenville County was first settled. It is considered to be the oldest Baptist church in Greenville County, South Carolina. A brush arbor was built for the first worship at the shoals and forks of Big Creek and the Reedy River, therefore, the name Fork Shoals. Logs and slabs on rock piers were constructed for seats or pews. Later a log building sealed with earthen clay was constructed.
In 1799, Big Branch Enoree Baptist Church, with fifteen (15) members, and the Horse Creek Baptist Church consolidated with Fork Shoals Church. The combined churches became known as Fork Shoals Baptist Church, and joined with the Bethel Association (the second association in the state).
In 1802 Fork Shoals joined with other churches to form the Saluda Association, which soon became one of the largest in the state of South Carolina.
Finally, the church joined the Greenville Baptist Association, of which it remains an active member today.
The church, from the beginning, has supported the various phases of the state and Southern Baptist Convention, and has been instrumental in helping to plan and organize a number of area churches. We continue to stand in the Fork Shoals community as a lighthouse for God, being a fellowship of Christian believers.
If you wish to find out more about our church, please contact the church office at (864) 243-3510